Wednesday, March 2, 2011

Weeks 36-37...holy cankles, Batman!

OMG we are only 3 weeks out from the due date!  I can't believe it...oh wait, I just looked down and saw the huge belly-yes I can.  Although many times it has felt as if the pregnancy would never end, now I feel the opposite.  It's as if we are running out of time.  Oh well, I guess the lists of to-dos will be forever ongoing for the next 18 years (at least!)

So, animal of the week you ask? 


These lovely "stems" belong to the beloved elephant.  Now, why you ask did I just include the feet and ankles?  Well, because I see a strong resemblance to someone else's feet at this point:

See that white spot on my leg?  That was where Kelsey pushed his finger in to show the swelling...about a minute ago.  Gross....just....gross. 


In all reality, these "ailments" provide humor (and sometimes a nuisance) more than anything else.  And I feel lucky that mild swelling has just shown up within the last 3 weeks of my pregnancy. 

I do need to bring out the beloved "quote of the week" now.  The other night before bed I was marveling at the swollen ankles and very seriously I turned to Kelsey and asked, "Hey, do you know what the medical terminology is for ankles that become this swollen?"  (The answer I was looking for was pitting edema, something I learned from selling one of my blood pressure drugs.)  Kelsey:  "Cankles?"  Ah, yes folks-I can't make this stuff up.

The past 2 weeks have revolved around trying to finish off the list of to-do's before baby comes.  We STILL have a few things left to get for the nursery, so will post pics once it's finished (which at this rate, feels like it won't be until after the bundle of joy arrives.

Now I am at term, meaning if baby Oliver decides he would like to show up a bit early-nobody would stop him.  The lovely Braxton-Hicks contractions have decided to show up as well, which makes me think maybe he will come a bit early?  Who knows-babies on my mother's side of the family like to show up late, but babies on my father's side like to show up early.  I guess he will show up when HE is ready!  I am going to the doctor every week now, and "Rocko" and mother are looking good.  I have gained 36 lbs. total, and the weight gain seems to be at a standstill this point.  He is measuring a little on the small side, just a few centimeters...HOW????  Look at me!  That was my reaction last doc's visit.  Apparently when the baby is head down and ready to rock n' roll, you actually will look bigger, according to my physician.  I don't know about that-kinda sounds like that whole "when it rains on your wedding day it's good luck" kind of lie!
 
I also had the opportunity to teach a prenatal yoga class this week, which was truly a joy.  I have missed teaching tremendously, and it was such a wonderful experience to teach a class full of women who are all in the same boat right now.  It's also been nice to make a few friendships in this class, and the women are all so appreciative to truly feel better after this kind of class.  The studio owner wants me to start teaching on a regular basis in the spring/summer, so I am really looking forward to that opportunity.  At 37 weeks pregnant, I can only do about 1/3 the postures I used to.  I thought being the type A personality I am, this would bother me.  But it truly doesn't.  If pregnancy doesn't teach you contentment, I don't know what does!

The winds of change are a blowin'.  It's right around the corner now, and we couldn't be more excited.  But then again, all of our lives are constantly changing.  Often times I struggle with adjusting to change...don't we all?  But I guess the one thing that remains constant in our lives is change.  The wonderful thing is we have the choice to either embrace it...or not. 

Our move to Boston has been a tough one for me-not as easy a transition as Dallas was.  But I feel with these changes there is always a lesson to be learned.  I still haven't figured out what that lesson entails, but eventually I will.  There have been so many changes for us in the past year-new move, new house, new jobs, and a baby on the way. 

One thing I do know is that we owe it to our son to embrace these changes, no matter how big or small they are.  Hopefully we can teach our son at a young age that whether change is good or bad, it is up to us to decide how we will respond to that change.  Other people's attitudes towards where we are in our lives can be contagious.  But we have to learn to accept that just like us, other people have their own agendas and insecurities and it is not up to us to play into that.  I guess what I am trying to say is I hope our son can have a positive outlook on life and learn these lessons at an early age.  I'm still learning myself.  I guess we all are, right?  Okay, enough rambling on for today!

Here's a scary thought...the next blog could include a pic of our son OUTSIDE of the womb!!!

1 comment: