Friday, December 17, 2010

26 weeks..."No Go Away!"

26 weeks...that makes us 6 and a half months!  The 40 week mark is fast approaching!  All I can say is HOW the HECK is this belly going to get any bigger?!?  Our little guy is starting to feel like a BIG guy.  I'm getting to that point now where I have "body disphoria," except it is the opposite from people with eating disorders.  I think I am actually smaller than I am, not larger.  This has been confirmed by numerous situations where I bumped things over with my belly and even got stuck in the space between the bed and the wall.  It was rather commical...it reminded me of a cartoon character.


Picture the nut as the bed and the ice as the wall...it kinda looked like this!

This past weekend, Kelsey and I took our birthing preparation class.  It was an all day event, and I must say it was a little TMI (too much information.)  Look, I get it...birthing a child into the world is a beautiful thing.  But in our humble opinion, the actual birthing is anything BUT beautiful. We felt the actual videos were counter productive to easing anxieties.  I mean, my poor husband does NOT need to see that.  By the end of the video, he was hiding behind the book they gave us.  The commical part of the whole day was when we first got there.  I opened the provided book to find an anatomical picture of the baby moving through the pelvis.  Kelsey's response:  "No, go away."  It made me laugh.  That pretty much sums up how he felt during the whole class.


We are also taking a Hypnobirthing class.  This is a birthing method started by Marie Mongan, a nurse/midwife who is based out of New Hampshire.  I think this method is more popular in the northeast.  Basically, in a nutshell it's the whole "mind over body" approach when it comes to labor.  With my yoga background, it is the perfect fit for what I would like to be armed with for labor. 


Right now the class assignment is to do guided relaxation exercises every day to discipline the mind.  So far, this has been easy for me since I already practice meditation frequently.  A cd is included with the class, which includes the guided relaxation.  My only complaint is the so-called "relaxing" background music reminds me of the music that used to be played on Mr. Rogers.  I can't remember the name of that imaginary land he would take us, but it's all I can picture when I first lay down to practice the relaxation.  Not really where I want to be when I'm having contractions!


No thanks, Mr. Rogers!

Other than that, we are just getting ready for the holidays.  We are SO excited to see family and friends.  It's been TOO long!

1 comment:

  1. Hey there, belly! We can't wait to see you! You are looking good. If Rocko is anything like his daddy, then that tummy is mostly full of his head. At least Kelsey is thin. I'm probably going to have to birth out a Shrek one day.

    ReplyDelete