OK, so I kind of waited a while before taking a stab at this whole blogging thing. And with that, I have horrible guilt that I have just begun to put down this experience at 15 weeks! At the same time, the second trimester is so different from the first trimester that maybe this is exactly what the good Lord wanted me to do. I was so green and sick the first 10 weeks, it was a huge accomplishment just to work a full day and….oh wait, that’s it. So how in the world does a first time preggers sum up all the emotions, excitement and butterflies in a blog short enough not to put everyone to sleep? Being a person in sales, I tend to get a little long winded at times…so I’ll try to keep it simple.
When I took that pregnancy test, I thought it was broken. So like any slightly compulsive gal would do, I went out and bought 5 more. I even called those girlfriends who already were mommies to find out how often those tests will say positive and mean negative. All of them together said, “Um, yeah NEVER.” So, once I had their word, I was overjoyed! (Forget the doc, girlfriends know all.) I couldn’t wait another minute after the 5th test, so I woke Kelsey up at 5:00 a.m. to share the news. His initial reaction was, “How did that happen?” Can we say that NY’s sex education program failed him badly?!? In all truth, he was smiling from ear to ear and was stoked.
Okay, fast forward out to week 6 to 11…no joke, that’s a lot of time but I have to be honest. I was one of those ladies that was sick that span of time. And I mean SICK. I kept reminding myself that millions of women have, are and will do this pregnancy thing and are OKAY. And my awesome cousin, who just had a baby reminded me “mind over body.” Being a yoga teacher, I of all people should know this valuable lesson best!
In that span of time, what was more important was that a baby…a new soul was growing and developing inside of me! That is a concept that took Kelsey and I some time to wrap our heads and hearts around. But when we saw that ultrasound at 12 weeks, we couldn’t contain our excitement. It was really happening! I don’t think either one of us had ever felt more blessed and excited.
Baby Oliver at 12 weeks
By week 13, all of our family and closest friends knew our secret. Thank goodness, because in the first trimester were 2 family weddings…and if there is one thing that is nearly impossible to hide with this family, it’s not drinking!
My cousin Katie's wedding...this was when I was my greenest, but still managed to smile and dance!
My sister Michele's wedding...we still had not told anyone! Thank goodness for spanx!!!




No comments:
Post a Comment